Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tasty Thursday: Kid Friendly Healthy Muffins

My struggle to find something quick for breakfast that me, my husband and my toddler would eat landed me into a sea of muffin recipes. I finally decided on these Zucchini Apple Muffins. Now, the recipe calls for A LOT of sugar and oil. I think you could probably cut a little sugar out. For the oil, I substituted 1/2 for 1/2C of plain Greek yogurt. It made me feel a little bit better.


Also keep in mind, these yielded 24 mini muffins and 12 regular muffins but if you wanted to make 24 regular sized muffins, have at it. I think the mini actually cooked a little bit better. These muffins also freeze well.
Recipe adapted from Savory Notes

Ingredients for Zucchini Apple Muffins

2 C grated zucchini
2 C diced granny smith apples
3 large eggs
1/2 C Canola oil
1/2 C Plain Greek yogurt
2 1/2 C sugar
3 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp fine salt
3 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°, and grease muffin pan with non-stick spray.
In bowl 1, whisk eggs, oil, vanilla and then add zucchini and apples.
In bowl 2, sift all dry ingredients (baking powder/soda, flour, cinnamon, and salt).
Add bowl 2 to bowl 1, and stir gently. Do not over-mix.
Dish into muffin cups, making sure you pick up the apples from the bottom of the bowl if they sink.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 or until toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?