Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Toddle Along Tuesday: Favorites

I have to admit, I was a little nervous for secret Santa with my family this year. Who would get me? Would they get me a gift card or something lame? Well, it turns out my brother is the most awesome person ever! (and his fiance too!) They got me the best kitchen electric on the face of the planet: The Cuisinart Multicooker . This slow cooker has changed my life, I am really not kidding. It allows you to brown meat in the slow cooker before you "slow cook" making chili, pot roast, short ribs a cinch and they taste amazing. No more using a pan to brown the meat and then put it in the slow cooker.

It's really difficult cooking dinner these days when I get home from work- toddler in tow and a husband who won't be home to help until 6:30, usually when the baby is in bed. This slow cooker makes my old one look like a food warmer (it's pretty too!).


In addition to browning/sauteing and slow cooking this thing also steams and roasts- you can make a small chicken in it or a roast beef without covering both in liquid like you would have to in a slow cooker. The non-stick insert is amazing. It is so easy to clean and dishwasher safe. You do have to be careful not to use metal utensils so as not to scratch the surface though. My *only* small complaint is the size, we had to create some pretty significant space for it in my cupboard. That being said, I haven't really put it away much since I got it- I use it that much.

I know for some, the price tag is a little hefty- but, I promise you it is worth it.

I will leave you with a recipe for Chili that I made over the weekend

Sandy's Porter Chili

1lb ground turkey
1lb ground beef (90/10 if possible)
1/2 a Vidalia Onion
2 cloves garlic- smashed and minced
2 roasted red peppers- sliced into strips
1 poblano pepper- de-seeded and diced
1 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
3T of tomato paste
1/8C of chipotle in adobo
1/2 pint of a porter beer
2 cans of black beans- rinsed and drained
1 can of pink beans- rinsed and drained
2T of cornstarch mixed with 1/4c of water
1T Cumin
1T Ancho Chili Powder
1T Mexican Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1C Sharp shredded cheddar cheese


Directions:
Brown turkey and beef, drain if desired but not really needed with a low fat beef.
Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and spices- saute for a few minutes constantly stirring
Deglaze pan with the porter
Add tomatoes, sauce and paste
Add rinsed and drained beans
Add chipotle in adobo
Add sliced roasted red peppers
Stir together
Stir in the cornstarch slurry

Slow cook for at least 4-6 hours- 3 hours on high finish on low.
Top with Cheddar and serve!

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!!! I use my slow cooker almost weekly so I think this would be a good investment. Looks like it will be going on my Christmas list for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the regular crock pot for years, I was so excited to get this- had it on my elfster wishlist and never thought I would get it. It really is worth the investment!

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous of your crock pot. Mine is much smaller and nowhere near as fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am asking for a new crock pot for my birthday (ok it's not til May, but I'm excited) and I might think about this one! Neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May is definitely close enough! Mine is May too, need to start adding things to my list...

      Delete
  4. Hey Sandy, I do a Mommy's Must Have Monday and was wondering if I could use this post and feature you some Monday. Let me know! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?